Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Glorious Golden Vegetable Stock/Broth

This morning I woke with a terrible headache (first one I have had in a few months) and after S left for work I was pleased to see the movie Julie & Julia scroll across our on screen TV show listing.  I put it on right away and decided that today was the day to take my first attempt at creating a wonderfully flavorful vegetable stock. 

I raided my fridge for left over veg that's where it began!

Ingredients
Fresh veg of your choice--Below is what I had on hand:
1 russet potato
1 sweet potato
2 green bell peppers, with seeds and ribs
2 Roma tomatoes, with seeds
1/2 eggplant, with peel
1 cucumber, with peel
1 onion, with skin/paper
1 bunch celery, with leafy tops
1 lb carrots, with peel
1 bay leaf
1 bunch parsley
10 black peppercorns
1 tsp oregano
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground clove
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp soy sauce
2 Tbs tomato paste
Water

In a large stockpot place all roughly chopped vegetables that you have selected for your stock along with spices (minus soy sauce and tomato paste).  Add enough water to cover and turn burner on high.  Once the water comes to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cover for 90 minutes.


**You may notice that I omitted salt from the recipe and any oil that most people would use for flavor.  I think salt (which I think the soy sauce provides plenty of) is something that should be added sparingly by each person at their own discretion.  I'm not a huge fan of it because of how it reacts inside our bodies.  Though a necessary flavor, there are plenty of ingredients that have the "salt factor" covered.  As for the oil, I don't love adding oil to anything.  I'd rather use healthy natural fats, like avocados and nuts, for instance. Change and adapt this recipe (and others) in a way that makes sense for you and your family!

Add soy sauce and tomato paste, stir gently to break up tomato paste.  Simmer for another 30 minutes, covered, in order to concentrate flavors.

Pull out the larger vegetables (so that when you pour the stock in the strainer the veggies don't splash hot liquid on your face or arms...it hurts!) and strain mixture into a large bowl.

The stock will last for about 2 weeks in the fridge, but if you don't plan on using it right away feel free to separate into smaller containers and freeze!  Just defrost in the fridge a day or two before you are going to need it.

My recipe made enough stock for three of these containers from Ikea which I bought yesterday. Before you store in the fridge or freezer, just make sure to cool enough on the counter so the stock isn't blazing hot--we don't want to grow any fun bacteria! 



I've seen some suggestions on Pinterest where people freeze the stock in ice cube trays.  After the stock is frozen you can break the stock free of it's casing and use as needed.  What a fabulous idea.  I hope you enjoy!

For me it's back to the couch to finish my movie.  Thanks to my sensational DVR I was able to pause when I was outside viewing distance.  Deuce didn't move from the couch.  It's his Sunday too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment